Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Blog challenge

So a friend of mine has sent me a challenge:
I blog about a Malaysian recipe that's simple to make with easy-to-get ingredients and he's going to make it and send me some feedback.

So after some thinking, this is what I came up with...


It's not Malaysian strictly speaking, but more of home slash comfort food that my mom made me as a kid, a dish my brother loved and a recipe I mastered easily.

The ingredients you need, as in all home cooking, is adjustable to the amounts you want and personal tastes. Remember though oyster sauce is quite salty but I like the taste of it, so I add in a spoonful at a time until I achieve the taste/saltiness I wanted.

Potatoes braised with minced pork

1-2 large baking potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
1/2 lb minced pork (also adjustable, can be as much or as little as you want)
1 onion, halved and sliced
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Sesame oil
Light soy sauce
Oyster sauce
1 cup water
Salt and pepper

1. Marinate minced pork with about 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tbsp light soy sauce and pepper before preparing and slicing the potatoes, onion and garlic.
2. Heat wok or large saucepan with oil, saute garlic until fragrant and add in minced pork. Stir-fry until minced pork is no longer red, and add in onions. Stir-fry til onions turn soft.
3. Stir in potatoes, and add about 1 tbsp sesame oil, 2 tbsp light soy sauce and 2 tbsp oyster sauce, mix and add in water. It should be enough to cover most of the potatoes. Bring to a boil, simmer on high heat for a few minutes before turning heat down. Simmer on low for 20-30 minutes, or until potatoes are soft and the liquid reduced into a thick, full-bodied gravy. Remember to taste the liquid and add in more oyster sauce/soy sauce as needed. Season with some pepper, and serve with rice and some stir-fried greens.

Good luck! (And I want photos!)

1 comment:

dhmn said...

Congrats.. you made hash :D