Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Winter cheer

Okay, apologies for my silence...I know to start something's easy, to find the motivation and energy to keep it going is another, and this is set for a failure if I don't post something up right now.

The camera I use is Sony Cybershot DSC-W210 SteadyShot 12.1 megapixels and course I'd like to play about and own an actual DSLR but that will have to wait til I have the moolah...meanwhile, my profuse apologies for asking you to content with (sometimes) bad lighting, shaky shots and less-than-satisfactory inferior-quality photos.

That being said, hey I think I'm a decent photographer, and hopefully this blog will see through improvements with a few teething issues (like my tendency to shoot too close to my food subject). Alright, moving swiftly on...

...Let's start with something simple shall we?

Cafe Rouge is one of those chain restaurants that is prominent in the eatery scene in England (as far as I know)...which is not really a guarantee of good quality food, though it looks sufficiently posh enough for a decent 'special meal' (you'd think there's quality control!) so for our six-month anniversary we downloaded a meal deal voucher and headed there.

Appetizers: We ordered two. Course!


Crevettes du Café Rouge. Tail on king prawns cooked in garlic and herb butter with a warm cherry tomato and chilli dip and slices of French baguette.

This tasted pretty damn good, especially the salsa. Prawns were nice and crunchy.


Champignons de Paris. Baked Paris mushrooms in a creamy roasted garlic and mushroom sauce, with melted Raclette cheese and slices of French baguette.

By the time we had our two starters (appetizers to the American English speakers), I was pretty filled up, especially with the delish cheese and mushrooms, and they were pretty substantial especially with the baguette being really nice and light.


We both ordered seafood as mains, with the ever popular mussels and frites or as the menu described, Moules du Café Rouge Classic Café Rouge mussels cooked in white wine, cream, garlic and herbs with a choice of French fries or French baguette ordered by Tim.

First bite: Delish. Very briny, steaming hot, and I wanted to steal half the portion off the plate. But then as the concoction cooled down, it became really salty. VERY salty. Need glass of water NOW salty. Next to his mussels my food seemed bland, but it's actually correctly seasoned.


I had the fish casserole, which is missing from the menu these days, and it had cod, mussels, baby potatoes and leeks in creamy sauce. It wasn't bad at all, really, but was quite boring next to Tim's steaming mussels. Also as I'm not a big fan of waxy potatoes, I struggled to finish the halves, seemingly aplenty, in my dish.

But quite a good meal for about £25, including tip. Must admit, while it was a memorable meal, my memory is poor, and this is what happens when I try to blog about food 2.5 months later. Serves me right for procrastinating. Note though we do 'save up' by not ordering alcohol (good not to be a drinker!).

Cafe Rouge. 1 Sheffield Centre, St Paul's Place, Sheffield S1 2JL. Tel: 0114 2753815. Opening hours: Mon to Sat: 9.00am to 11.00pm, Sun: 10.00am to 10.30pm.

2 comments:

dhmn said...

Food's salt content is always enhanced when as it cools.. gotta eat faster :D

F Kidd said...

Lovely pics. Food looks amazing, I do enjoy a meal out at one of the Cafe Rouge London branches. The fish casserole used to be my favourite, I'm hoping they bring it back sometime soon.