Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Valentine's Dinner

My posts must be quite confusing now...because they're not in order.

Maybe I should explain: The idea to write my food blog started couple months ago, I just haven't gotten around to doing anything until quite recently...and I already have a backlog of material so I rather use than waste them. I also have a tendency to not upload photos til there's about 300 photos on my camera (yes yes maybe it's just plain laziness) but now that I'm starting to get into the groove of things...

Chinese New Year eve I made a big dinner for a few of my friends, and even though the food was ok, the photos turned out awful because I have an annoying habit of taking photos too close to the subject and have not learnt my lesson well so far.

Still, Valentine's Day Tim booked for a table in a restaurant he heard about in town, and the food was pretty impressive (and I'm rarely impressed with the quality and taste of food in Sheffield). We walked into town to All Bar One, which is just outside Orchard Square off Fargate, and ordered two starters for £5 and lamb shanks for mains.


The first starter was tiger prawns with lemon, parsley & garlic olive oil dressing, and I struggled to find the 'tiger' in the prawns, scrawny as they were, or taste in the dressing. We both resorted to dipping our prawns into the mayo for our other starter.


This was much better. Listed as calamari with lemon, lime & garlic mayonnaise, it was warm, crunchy and slightly greasy, and very very tasty. We fought over batter crumbs.


As big fans of lamb, we both ordered the lamb shank in a minted gravy with spinach and a rustic parsnip & sweet potato mash, and this was just gorgeous. I had Gordon Ramsey's infamous 1-year shelf life without refrigeration lamb shanks playing in my mind as I ate this, but with fall-off-the-bone tender meat and nothing artificial tasting, I may have been a tad paranoid. The spinach was gorgeous, silky and well-cooked and the mash still had good chunks in it. The dish was well-seasoned and if the lamb shank doesn't fill you up, the mash will do the job.

All in all, a very very pleasant experience.

All Bar One, 13-15 Leopold Street, Sheffield, S1 2GY. Tel: 0114 275 3423

No comments: