Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Wa Tan Hor

Phew, not abandoned yet......Not yet anyhow.

I'm really sorry. The fact that I need to keep this blog alive is always at the back of my mind, I thought maybe an update every 2 weeks would be decent enough but I've fallen dreadfully behind. I don't know what it is, like maybe I'm not passionate or motivated enough about writing (because I sure am about food), I don't bother to take photos or upload ones that I actually took, maybe it's just general laziness. Yet I still stalk EatingAsia, Camemberu and a few other food blogs faithfully...it's easier to consume than to produce. Obvious fact, no?

I'd still like to do this though, I just need to be a lot more disciplined and structured about it. Write down deadlines and so on if it comes down to it.

But this is a long-due entry for Cantonese noodles (Wa Tan Hor) or Eggy Noodles, as I use with Tim.

It's always one of my favouritest tze char noodles along with the dark Hokkien noodles, and one I never thought I could reproduce. But with a few recipes floating about, I thought I'd try it out, and this is probably my third attempt to date and the best (apart from a slight mishap in the end).

Wa Tan Hor
For two

Hor fun (fresh or rehydrated)
4 tbsp oil
dark soy sauce
light soy sauce

The noodles:


I bought fresh hor fun from the local Oriental supermarket, stir fried with oil, dark and light soy sauce til slightly charred around the edges. Put aside.


The gravy:



3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 eggs
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp cornflour (mixed with some cool water)
1 cup chicken stock
*Prawns (shelled and deveined)
*Calamari (sliced)
*Lean pork/chicken (sliced)
*Napa cabbage/Choy sum (sliced to 1" width)
Salt and pepper to taste
(*How much is up to personal preference)

1. Heat wok til very hot and stir fry prawns and calamari until just cooked, set aside.
2. Stir fry garlic til fragrant, add pork/chicken slices and stir fry for 1 minute.
3. Pour in chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Simmer for a 3-5 minutes.
4. Add in cabbage/choy sum and cornflour mixture.
5. Add cooked prawns and calamari and season to taste.
6. Turn off heat, crack 2 eggs and stir gently to cook the eggs. DO NOT stir too vigorously as this will make the gravy stodgy. You want smooth egg wisps, not scrambled sauce.
7. Dish gravy onto noodles, serve.




Eggy noodles has always been a favourite from home, and surprisingly easy to make!

No comments: